Tuesday, August 3, 2010

July 31

Last day of July. I can't believe how fast the summer's going. Only three weeks left...

This morning, again, I got to sleep in. After a quick breakfast, my mom, dad, and I departed Santa Fe for Taos, a couple of hours away. First stop- the Taos Pueblo, where the Native American Pueblo tribe reside.

Cemetery outside the ruins of the old Catholic church. After the burial markers fall over, they are placed into a pile and burned. The bodies of the deceased are not preserved, they are returned to the earth.

Part of the pueblo. In Spanish, the word "pueblo" means small town or village. Upon their arrival in southwestern America, the Spanish came across the native peoples, who lived in these connected, apartment-like adobe structures. They called the native communities "pueblos". At the same time, the specific native tribe living in the complexes was named the "Pueblo". So I guess we visited the Pueblo pueblo...

Anyway... there are numerous residents still living in the pueblo- all Native Americans. Visitors walk around, checking out the different shops the inhabitants have set up to sell their art, crafts, foods, jewelery, and other wares. My parents and I caught a guided tour of the pueblo. They really enjoyed the whole experience- especially my dad.

Monsoon season is in full swing. So when a storm started to rain down on us, our visit to the pueblo came to an end. (The dogs didn't seen to mind the rain, though). We got a bite to eat at Taos Pizza Outback- one of my usual Taos haunts. The food was unique and amazing as usual. It received high marks on the Loncki family food-rating scale.


Next stop- Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. At 650 feet, the bridge is the fifth tallest in the United States. My mom didn't like the whole height thing. So my dad and I walked around...

... while she found other interesting things to do...

... and we all got a picture at a safe distance.

To finish up the night, we browsed the shops at Old Town Taos. Very entertaining merchandise.

At the hotel, I looked through all my photos from Philmont and submitted, online, five photos in a staff photo contest. The deadline was August 1, so I had to do it that night. I hope the people running the contest received them.

No comments:

Post a Comment