Saturday, August 7, 2010

Crew 806-C

In 2008, Troop 59 sent it's first crew to Philmont to complete a 10-day, 50-mile trek. I was the crew leader. None of us knew what to expect; most of us had never really been backpacking before. Midway through the expedition, we all climbed to the top of Baldy Mountain, the tallest on the ranch (12,441 feet).

The whole experience was just amazing. I grew up- a lot- during my time with my crew. I didn't realize how special our time at Philmont really was until I got home. Then it sank in. Since then, I've wanted to go back to Philmont. I knew one day I'd make it back. I even signed up to go on another trek in 2011.

Last winter while on a troop outing, I was chatting with another adult leader. I told him I was thinking about applying to work at Philmont this summer. I was unsure at the time, but during our conversation it hit me. I'm going to work for the rest of my life. Now's the time to take the chance and go for it. And I did. It's been a great summer- one of the best ever. Again, Philmont has made me grow a little more. I've had the chance to meet new friends, hone managerial and interpersonal skills, and finally find out what it's like to live away from home. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment