Monday, July 5, 2010

July 4

I had the day off; it was great to not work and enjoy the Fourth. Cimarron has two annual festivities for Independence Day: a parade in the morning and a rodeo in the afternoon. I attended both.
Cimarron's annual July 4 parade was made up of the usual: fire trucks, the entire Cimarron police force (2 cruisers), horses and vintage vehicles. Other than that, pretty much anyone and anything can be in the parade. As always, I enjoyed the fire trucks because of their obnoxious sirens. A bunch of rednecks had a float too. They threw candy into the crowds and sprayed people with water guns. As I was picking up a few pieces of candy, a big man dressed in camo came out of nowhere with a super soaker- he promptly pulled the trigger, yelling at me: "Hey! Them's for little kids!" I was half expecting the gun to be filled with pee. Luckily, it wasn't.

The parade is quickly followed by the local Maverick Club's annual rodeo. It was my first rodeo- I couldn't ask for purer American entertainment. They had cattle to rope, horses to ride, and sheep riding for the kid's competition.

I went to the trading post snack bar for my red and blue twist ice cream. Even though in my mind, I knew the ice cream was vanilla, it tasted so much better with blue and red dye.

At night, I rode to a nearby town called Eagle's Nest with some friends. There, we parked on the hillside and watched the fireworks. Though they were drawn out and didn't compare to Waldameer's fireworks back home, they did the trick: I got my fireworks fix for a while (until I get home). It was a great time with friends, as we drank IBC Root Beer and Cream Soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment