Monday, August 16, 2010

Meteor Shower

Stars. Stars. Stars. I've never seen so many. The galaxy was visible, as were a few planets. There were so many stars- I couldn't even make out constellations. Meteors streaked across the sky, some leaving a tail for a few seconds.

This was the reason I came to Philmont- the miraculous night sky, the wilderness, the in-the-middle-of-nowhere feeling. When I first came to Philmont, I remember my ranger telling my crew the amazing environment Philmont has to offer- especially the stars at night. Now, two years later, I was sitting next to him, soaking up the moment on a cloudless night. It couldn't have been more fitting.

All in all, I counted over 60 meteors. Some were more spectacular than others, but the whole phenomenon was still amazing. Though we didn't stay till it peaked at 2 a.m., we caught more than I ever expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment