Monday, August 16, 2010

August 12

Slept in the cabin last night. Woke up to the sound of pots and pans banging as the cooks began cooking. Did some dishes and listened to the radio to see if any trucks were passing through Beaubien (so we could get a ride home).

Finally, we heard a familiar voice- the trading post driver. She said she was heading to Phillips Junction, a 30-minute hike from where we were. I said goodbye to the cooks (my favorite backcountry cooks on the whole ranch) and we began to hike.

It took us a half-hour to get to Phillips Junction (PJ), and our prospective ride wasn't due in for another hour. When she pulled up, I was hopeful we'd get a ride. When three people piled out (including my manager at the store), I wasn't so hopeful. Sure enough, she had no room. And she wasn't heading back to base. I asked my manager what would happen if I was a few hours late to work. He said, "You'll find out when you get there." Comforting...

It was 10 a.m. I had to work at 2 p.m. It would take 5 hours to hike from where I was to base. I was stuck. So we hike fast- we trekked it- back to Beaubien. This time it took 18 minutes, as opposed to 30. We got to the intersection of the trail and the road. I stopped to look at the map; my friend tied his shoe.

Minutes later, I heard an engine. I looked down the road- a Philburban was chugging down the road. I flagged it down. I could make out the driver's face. It was the backcountry ride coordinator man. He said he was heading back to base after a quick stop. Thank God! We'd make it back in time!

On the way home, a bear crossed the road. It was the first Philmont bear I'd ever seen. I's in the picture somewhere. I swear...

No comments:

Post a Comment